COE3149630 Computer Operating Systems
|Lecture Slides and Notes|
|Week 1||Ch 1 - Computer System Overview [WS] (pptx)
Ch 1 - Introduction [SGG] (pptx)
Ch 2 - Operating System Overview [WS] (pptx)
Ch 2 - Operating-System Structures [SGG] (pptx)
Ch 3 - Processes [SGG] (pptx)
Ch 3 - Process Description and Control [WS] (pptx)
Ch 4 - Threads & Concurrency [SGG] (pptx)
Ch 4 - Threads [WS] (pptx)
|Week 5||Ch 5 - Process Synchronization
Ch 5 - Concurrency: Mutual Exclusion and Synchronization [WS] (pptx I) (pptx II)
|Week 6||Ch 7 - Deadlocks [SGG] (pptx)
Ch 6 - Concurrency: Deadlock and Starvation (pptx)
|Week 8||Midterm Week|
Ch 6 - CPU Scheduling [SGG] (pptx)
Ch 9 - Uniprocessor Scheduling [WS] (pptx)
Ch 9 - Memory Manamgement [SGG] (pptx)
Ch 7 - Memory Management [WS] (pptx)
[SGG] : A. Silberschatz, P. B. Galvin and G. Gagne, Operating System Concepts, 10th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2018.
[WS] : William Stallings, Operating Systems, Internals and Design Principles, 9th Edition, Prentice Hall, 2017.
- The Rise of "Worse is Better"
- Dennis M. Ritchie and Ken Thompson, "The UNIX Timesharing System," Communications of the ACM, Vol. 17, No. 7, July 1974.
- Why Threads Are A Bad Idea
- Why Events Are A Bad Idea
- Multicore microprocessors and embedded multicore SOCs have very different needs (html)
- Enhancing Operating System Support for Multicore Processors by Using Hardware Performance Monitoring (pdf)
- Multi-Core Programming (pdf)
- Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology (Intel® HT Technology) (HTML)
- Hyper-Threading Technology (pdf)
- Keith Adams and Ole Agesen. A comparison of software and hardware techniques for x86 virtualization. In Proc. 12th Int'l Conf.
on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems, San Jose, California, USA, October 2006.
- Memory Resource Management in VMware ESX Server
- Mobile operating system (HTML)
- CASE STUDY 3: SYMBIAN OS (PDF)
- Embedded Operating Systems - Chapter 13 from textbook (PPTX)
- Cloud computing (HTML)
Dispelling the vaporaround cloud computing - IBM (pdf)
Cloud Computing at a Higher Level - SUN (pdf)
Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud Architecture - UBUNTU (pdf)
Introducing Windows Azure - MICROSOFT (pdf)
- Google File System (html) (pdf)
What Is Hadoop? (pdf)
Introduction to Parallel Programming and MapReduce (html)