The objective of this course is to teach the organization and architecture of computer systems hardware, basics of the von Neumann machine, instruction set arhitectures, addresssing modes, assembly programming, processor and control design, CISC and RISC architectures, computer arithmetic, memory systems, interconection structures, I/O organization, secondary storage devices, performance issues, parallel processing and multicore computers, and graphic processing units. The laboratories for this course will focus on logical design of computer components, assembly programming and the design of a simple microprocessor and its components using a hardware description language.
Computer Organization And Architecture, Wiilam Stallings, 11th Edition, 2019 (html).
Buy From Pandora : (html)
Computer Organization and Design ARM Edition: The Hardware Software Interface, David A. Patterson, John L. Hennessy , Morgan Kaufmann, 2016 (html).
- Digital Design and Computer Architecture:
ARM Edition, Sarah Harris, David Harris, perarson, 2015.
- Structured Computer Organization, 6th edition, Andrew S. Tanenbaum, and Todd, Pearson 2013.
- Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective, 3/E, Randal E. Bryant and David R. O'Hallaron, 2016 (html).
|Evaluation Tool (*)||Weight in %|
|Assignments and Labs||20|
- 2 Quizes
- 1 Midterm
|1||Basic Concepts and Computer Evolution|
|2||Chapter 2- Performance Issues|
|3||Chapter 3 - A Top-Level View of Computer Function and Interconnection|
|4||Chapter 9 - Number Systems
Chapter 10 - Computer Arithmetic
Chapter 11 - Digital Logic
|5||- Electronic Deign Automation (EDA) by L. Mateu (PDF)
- Hardware description language (HDL (html)
|6||Chapter 4 [HH] - Hardware Description Languages
- Hardware Description Languages - Book Chapter by Harris (PDF)
|7||Chapter 12 - Instruction Sets: Characteristics and Functions|
|8||Chapter 13 - Instruction Sets: Addressing Modes and Formats|
|10||Chapter 14 - Processor Structure and Function ARM
- ARM 32 Assembly Language [HH] (PDF)
- LEGv8 Assemly Language [PH] (PDF)
- ARM 64 Assembly Language (PDF) (Source: CS217 (html))
- Intel 64 Assembly Language
- Intel 32 Assembly Language (html) (pdf)
- Intel 64 Assembly Language (PDF) (Source: CS217 (html))
|11||Chapter 20 - Control Unit Operation|
|12||Chapter 4 - Cache Memory|
|13||Chapter 5 - Internal Memory|
|14||Chapter 6 - External Memory|